Food Fashion and Flow: Classic Picnic Potato Salad   

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Classic Picnic Potato Salad


 Nothing says summer like potato salad.  There are so many different ways to prepare potato salad. For years I have wondered how to recreate the potato salad I buy at my favorite Jewish delis, which has a flavor very similar to one of my dad's favorite fried chicken joints. After experimenting, I finally found the answer.

The secret to this tangy potato salad is a vinegar brine that adds a robust flavor that marries beautifully with the mayo and other seasonings. A garnish of parsley flakes adds a nice hint of color. In my family, we always sprinkle paprika over the top of potato salad, but the parsley is a nice change of pace. 


Ingredients

5 pounds red potatoes peeled
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 cup white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
1 1/2 cup real Mayonnaise 
1 tablespoon Mustard 
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
2 green onions chopped
1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped brown onion 

Directions

Add potatoes to a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Cook until fork tender. Drain potatoes and cut into chunks. In a small saucepan, combine water sugar and  vinegar. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Pour over potatoes and chill for an hour or two.

Mix mayonnaise, mustard, celery, relish, bell pepper, green onions and brown onion. Drain the marinade from potatoes and fold mayonnaise mixture into chopped potatoes until well incorporated. Serve chilled.

Makes 8 servings

Bon Appetit!





4 comments:

MarkD60 said...

Just last week I picked up a little tub of deli potato salad. I used to make it with my Mom. Now you got me all fired up for some potato salad!

Oh to Be a Muse said...

You know what, I haven't had potato salad in a really long time. Would love some right about now!

Oh to Be a Muse
Shop Layered Muse

yummychunklet said...

Great classic! Happy 4th of July!

Cee said...

I would never have guessed that vinegar was the secret to perfect potato salad, but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense! Definitely bookmarking this recipe :)
xox,
Cee
www.cocoandvera.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...