Food Fashion and Flow: Southern Baked Beans   

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Southern Baked Beans


 Baked beans, potato salad and barbecue are a big part of summer. I love baked beans and my mother makes some of the best baked beans ever. I have adapted her recipe by adding a few of my own personal touches. These are great with barbecue and a great side to have with a burger hot off the grill:-) 

I have tried making baked beans with all sorts of variations and although traditional baked beans are made with navy beans, my mother has always used Van de Camps pork and beans in the can along with fresh bell pepper, onion and embellishments that make them quite tasty. The prep is easy and after 45 minutes to an hour, you have a great side dish:-)

Maple glazed Bacon with smoked paprika is used as a garnish and a topping

I use a baking dish most of the time, but a cast iron skillet is a great way to cook these. If these bacon slices look small it's because they were so good, I ate half of them. Don't judge.


Ingredients

2 slices Bacon
1/2 onion chopped
1/2 cup chopped Bell Pepper
2 15 ounce cans  Pork and Beans
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
2 tablespoons real maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.  Fry bacon in large frying pan until partially cooked. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels. Add onion and peppers and saute until onions are translucent. About 2 minutes. Add pork and beans, brown sugar, barbecue sauce, mustard and Worcestershire Sauce.

Pour beans into a greased casserole dish. Mix syrup, paprika and cayenne together in a small bowl. Place baked beans in oven for 20 minutes. Brush Bacon with maple mixture. Lay on top of beans for last 25 minutes of cooking. This is done when the beans are nice and bubbly and the bacon is cooked all the way through. This makes 10 servings and can the recipe can be doubled.

Bon Appetit!

10 comments:

Emmylou said...

Mmmmmm...have never made this kind of dish before but I do love eating it:D And beans are such a great source of protein, you really can't go wrong with them.

~Jeimy~ said...

Wow delicious!!!

LV said...

@Emmy
You absolutely have to try this! You are missing out if you have never had baked beans. Try them with barbecue chicken.

@Jeimy
They are definitely delicious!

MarkD60 said...

I love baked beans! Yours look and sound fantastic!

angiejenkins2011 said...

Every barbecue has to have baked beans. These look really good.

Maureen said...

Give me some cole slaw and potato salad and these beans and I'd be in heaven!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...I've never made baked beans before, but these sound delicious!

Nikell said...

Another mouth watering recipe!! I've always wanted to make baked beans. I think I'll try it out this week for sure. Lol @ the small bacon. I would've done the same thing (^_^)

Carla said...

I'm making this now.. seriously.. along with pork steaks. I'm sure we'll enjoy it. Thank you for that!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Your doctored up pork and beans look terrific! The hubby would LOVE these!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...