Remarkable. Sounds good doesn't it? Really it should be something we all aspire to. Being remarkable comes with a price and the attitude that you will do something bold, something unusual, something different than everyone else. Thats not as easy as it sounds when the natural default of the masses is average. There is nothing remarkable about being average and if you strive to be more, you sign up to swim against a current of mediocrity.
Not everyone wants to be above average or remarkably above average, but if you do, let me share 20 tips that will change your life.
1. Do things that challenge you and make you a little scared. If your dreams don't make you a little nervous, you are definitely playing it too safe.
2. Talk to strangers. Yes, mommy told you not to talk to strangers, but didn't all of your friends start off as strangers first?
3. Unchain yourself from your cell phone. If you can get through dinner without texting, looking at your phone or talking on it you are already more impressive than 50% of people.
4. Don't live in a homogenous community. Sameness is boring and it does not enrich you in any way.
5. Read an intelligent book instead of watching another dumb reality show. Try growing brain cells instead of microwaving them with mindless television.
6. Don't accept everything people tell you at face value (sometimes people lie)
7. Question authority. Yes, I said question authority because sometimes they are wrong.
8. Reject the Status Quo
9. Travel to a foreign country. Learn the language and immerse yourself in the culture when you are there. If you are daring, make friends with the locals and explore the hidden gems your tour guide does not know about. The locals in a foreign country can give you an experience unlike anything on a tour bus.
10. Don't buy a big SUV and complain about the price of gas. If you bought it before the gas crisis, you get a pass.
11. Don't speak anything you don't want to happen. Words have power. Don't even open your mouth if something negative is going to come out of it.
12. Surround yourself with people who are smarter than you. Yes, I know you are brilliant, but you become like the people you spend the most time with.
13. Pick up the phone and call people instead of relying on Facebook as your only way to stay connected. That is not the way to nurture and maintain deep friendships with people.
14. Ignore Stereotypes, gossip and mudslinging. Get to know people for yourself instead of relying on what you hear from secondhand information.
15. Don't purchase a car that looks better than your home unless you plan to live in it.
16. Do work you love and do it so well that it can't be ignored.
17. Have an entrepreneurial spirit even if you don't own the company you work for.
18. Stop talking about what you are going to do and DO IT.
19. Try leaving people, situations and things better than they were when you found them. Be a blessing.
20. Treat others the way you want to be treated. Yes, it is a cliche', but wisdom is wisdom.